Best Paying Jobs In Retail Building Materials – Are you contemplating a career in the construction industry, or are you a freelancer seeking to increase your earning potential? If this is the case, there are numerous well-paying construction jobs available, ranging from unskilled labour to highly specialised artisanal skills.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, construction employment opportunities are projected to increase by 4 percent by 2029, equating to 296.300 new jobs. The median wage for construction workers is approximately 16 percent higher than the median wage for all occupations.
We have compiled a list of the nine construction jobs with the highest salaries. We compiled this list using annual salary data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics to assist you in identifying potential opportunities. Want to learn more about construction employment opportunities? Check out our special report on the top construction cities in the United States.
It is important to keep in mind that your potential earnings may be higher or lower than those listed in this article. The salaries of construction workers vary based on a number of factors, including skill level, years of experience, and the local job market.
This list contains only positions that require a high school diploma or its equivalent. No positions require a bachelor’s degree. Except for construction and building inspector, all occupations require completion of an apprenticeship programme.
Best Paying Jobs In Retail Building Materials
# 1 Home Building Team Member – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
Members of the Home Building Team carry out the manufacturing and production tasks assigned to their team as part of the home building process. The position adheres to standard production procedures and employs safe work practises to ensure that production is as efficient and secure as possible.
Production teams ensure that all homes comply with sales orders, blueprints, specifications, and building codes, while maintaining a timely high quality standard.
Duties and responsibilities of the Home Construction Team- Jobs In Retail Building Materials
- Safety: Employ safe work practises to ensure that production is as effective and secure as possible, adhering to all applicable OSHA regulations.
- Work in a team environment to produce products that adhere to our quality standards while achieving our productivity goals.
- Serve as a good steward of our company’s physical assets by safeguarding them from damage and misuse, reporting all required maintenance, and keeping your assigned area clean and organised.
- Assist your Team Leader and Area Coordinator in planning and organising the manufacturing activities in your area by communicating anticipated material shortages, required tool maintenance, and any quality and productivity issues.
- Attendance: Meet all attendance requirements and be available for shift start at the required time, in accordance with the division’s attendance regulations.
# 2 Warehouse Associate – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
A warehouse associate is responsible for receiving, processing, and shipping stock and materials. This position is also known as a warehouse worker, stock clerk, or warehouse clerk. The warehouse associate’s duties include inventorying incoming stock, fulfilling orders for outgoing stock, and maintaining the warehouse’s cleanliness and order.
Responsibilities of a Warehouse Associate – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
- Receiving, handling, labelling, and storing incoming inventory.
- Keeping accurate records of all stock and inventory.
- Inspecting all stock for damages and maintaining a record of any that are found.
- Warehouse space organisation.
- Order shipment preparation
- Shipments’ precise arrival and departure times are recorded.
- Utilizing equipment for inventory management, such as a forklift.
- Counting inventory and maintaining records of inventory.
# 3 Marketing Communications Specialist – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
The Marketing Communications Specialist is responsible for disseminating promotional materials, responding to customer questions and comments on social media, and networking at marketing events. If you have experience identifying and cultivating long-term relationships with specific target audiences, we would like to meet you.
In the end, you will serve as the voice of our brand in order to impress our customers and attract new clients.
Responsibilities of Marketing Communications Specialist – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
- We will promote our products and services at events.
- Coordination of promotional material design and distribution through online and offline channels
- Utilize a variety of media to promote our company and its wares
- Prepare for interviews and press conferences.
- Write advertising copy for our website.
- Create and distribute periodic company newsletters.
- Track ROI for marketing efforts
- Join social media groups and professional platforms to discuss industry-specific topics.
- Monitor corporate website and social media pages and respond to customer inquiries.
- Create brand awareness by networking with industry professionals and prospective clients
- Collect feedback from customers to inform sales and product teams
# 4 Electrician Helper – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
Electrician assistants transport materials and equipment, cut and shape wire and conduit, repair and maintain wiring, and clean work areas and equipment. These employees work full-time hours, which may include evenings and weekends, in homes, businesses, and construction sites, both indoors and outdoors.
Principal Obligations of Electrician Helper – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
- Plan, lay out, install, and repair electrical wiring, conduit, fixtures, apparatus, and control equipment.
- Must be familiar with applicable safety rules; must be able to use basic tools and maintain them, and must be knowledgeable about fire protection.
- Utilization of hand electric power tools and pneumatic tools and maintenance of these tools
- Basic understanding of material nomenclature, assisting mechanics with assembly and work performance; demolition; cleaning; debris removal; housekeeping.
- Maintenance of buildings and grounds, waste removal, and assistance with construction and maintenance.
# 5 Marketing Representative – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
As well as. Rep of Marketing, Marketer, Marketing Coordinator, Music Marketing Rep. Marketing representatives control how a company’s products are perceived and attract new customers through advertisements, promotions, and other means. The recording industry careers available.
Marketing Representative Duties/Responsibilities – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
- Develops brand messages in collaboration with sales and product teams.
- Customers and markets of focus are identified.
- Collects and compiles customer feedback in a format that is easily understood and reviewed by company management and leadership.
- Collects and maintains sales records necessary for tracking, analysing, and modifying marketing initiative performance.
- Forecasts and analyses sales trends, marketing strategies, and product performance; writes and delivers reports.
- Summarizing information; making suggestions based on analysis.
- Creates and distributes materials pertaining to sales, training, and marketing.
- Performs additional assigned duties
# 6 Union – Warehouse Associate- Jobs In Retail Building Materials
A Warehouse Associate is a professional responsible for carrying out the logistics of receiving, processing, and storing inventory in accordance with purchase orders and store policy. In addition, they ensure that shipping schedules are adhered to with precision to ensure on-time delivery and the prevention of loss.
Responsibilities of Union – Warehouse Associate- Jobs In Retail Building Materials
- Orders are precisely processed, packaged, and shipped
- Inventory management and stock organisation
- Inspect products for defects and damage
- Check incoming and outgoing shipments
- Warehouse space organisation
- Receiving, unloading, and stocking incoming inventory items
- Check and fill out customer invoices
- Observe all safety and hygiene rules and regulations
- Contribute ideas regarding methods to enhance or optimise warehousing procedures
- Maintain daily warehouse cleanliness and order
# 7 Plumbers, pipefitters and steamfitters – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
Pipefitters, steamfitters, and plumbers install and repair piping fixtures and systems. Plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters work in factories, residences, and businesses with piping and associated systems. Evening and weekend work is common for plumbers due to the fact that they are frequently required to respond to unexpected situations.
Plumbers, steamfitters, and pipefitters Responsibilities – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
- Plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters typically perform the following tasks:
- Provide clients with cost estimates
- Follow state and local building codes and read the blueprints
- Determine the required supplies and tools for a job.
- Pipe and fixture installation
- Examine and evaluate installed pipe systems and pipelines.
- Analyze systems that are failing.
- Maintain and fix piping systems
# 8 Carpenter – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
Carpenters create building components such as stairways, door frames, and rafters. In addition to installing kitchen cabinets, countertops, molding, and trim, their duties may also involve installing kitchen countertops, cabinets, and molding. Carpenters utilise a variety of hand tools, including saws, hammers, pliers, planes to smooth wood, and levels to determine whether lines are straight.
Some carpenters, for instance, insulate office buildings, while others install drywall or kitchen cabinets in residential properties. Those who assist in the construction of tall buildings or bridges frequently install wooden concrete forms for cement footings or pillars and are commonly known as rough carpenters. Additionally, rough carpenters erect shoring and scaffolding for structures.
To cut and shape wood, plastic, fibreglass, or drywall, carpenters use a variety of tools. They frequently use hand tools, such as squares, levels, and chisels, in addition to numerous power tools, such as sanders, circular saws, nail guns, and welding machines.
Carpenter Responsibility – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
Cabinets, insulation, tile, and drywall can be installed, maintained, and repaired.
Employ best safety practises when performing tasks.
Maintain equipment and tools in a safe operating condition.
Perform building inspections and determine required repairs
Document repairs and keep meticulous records
Cut, shape, and modify materials as necessary.
Construct entryways, cabinets, and windows
Mark materials for alterations based on measurements and markings.
# 9 Construction equipment operators – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
Motorized equipment such as bulldozers and cranes, as well as non-motorized equipment like dump boxes and loader buckets, are operated by heavy equipment operators. Equipment operator and heavy machine operator are alternative titles for this position.
Responsibilities of a Heavy Equipment Operator
Maneuvering motorized heavy equipment to ensure the removal and placement of materials with precision.
Utilizing heavy equipment to load and unload rocks, debris, and other materials.
Continually adhering to specified safety standards.
As required, communicating with coworkers in order to clarify project requirements.
Notifying the line manager of injuries and other accidents.
Informing the line manager of any necessary upgrades, repairs, or replacements.
Assisting coworkers in ensuring the site is tidy and organised at the conclusion of each shift.
Providing suggestions for enhancing workflow and maximising productivity.
# 10 Sheet metal workers – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
Sheet metal workers fabricate or install items made from thin sheets of metal, such as steel, aluminium, and alloyed metals. They are responsible for selecting the appropriate sheet type based on the specifications of each job. They work on heating and cooling ducts, outdoor pipes, gutters, and flashing, among other projects.
Compared to other jobs on this list, there will be fewer opportunities for sheet metal workers. Over the next nine years, this occupation is anticipated to experience 1% job growth. Nevertheless, nearly every structure requires sheet metal for ducts and other structural systems, so you may be able to find a niche in your community.
Duties/Responsibilities of Sheet metal workers – Jobs In Retail Building Materials
- Consults blueprints, work orders, and/or schematics to ensure the safe construction of a specified structure; creates additional sketches as needed.
- Based on the desired or required strength, chooses the appropriate material for each job.
- To the specified dimensions, cuts, bends, and forms sheet metal.
- Measures, cuts, and welds together pieces in accordance with specifications, blueprints, or instructions.
- Connects or secures joints by riveting, rolling, soldering, or employing steel screws.
- Performs assembly line tasks such as punching holes for screws and bending gutters.
- Utilizes appropriate equipment and software to complete assigned tasks.
- After sheet metal installation, coordinates with other departments the necessary equipment shutdowns and startup procedures.
- Creates and maintains project and maintenance documentation.
- Maintains a tidy and clean work environment.
- Performs additional assigned duties.
Today’s Five Biggest Problems Facing Building Materials Companies
1. Falling Behind On Customer Changes
Regardless of whether they are builders, contractors, dealers, or distributors, your customers are changing, and building materials companies are not keeping up. Your customers inform me of this. They ask, “If we’re changing and our needs are changing, why aren’t manufacturers keeping up with us?”
One of the most significant changes in your customers is the expansion of the large, primarily through acquisitions. Larger clients are more sophisticated and can afford to invest in systems and data, smarter personnel, and more effective customer marketing.
The larger these customers become, the less influence and leverage they have over the manufacturers, as they strive to make their brand more significant than the manufacturers’. Consequently, they have more influence over pricing and terms. This also means they will have a greater influence over whether your sales increase or decrease.
2. Failing to Plan for Tomorrow
The first problem is that many contractors, dealers, and independent representatives lack a succession plan. In the next decade, a large number of individuals will retire and close their businesses. This will primarily be a problem if you sell through independent reps or specialty dealers. As a result of the labour shortage, there will likely be a decline in the number of new contracting firms and a decline in the number of businesses closing their doors.
The majority of independent rep firms are extremely small and centred on the owner, who possesses the contacts, skills, and expertise. When they decide to retire, the majority will simply close their businesses. There is no one to sell it to, and as a manufacturer you will have no sales coverage in the state or region that the representative was responsible for. It will be nearly impossible to replace them because fewer young people are starting rep firms today. Some representative firms are becoming larger, self-sustaining businesses. We must determine whether or not there are enough of these to go around.
The same will occur with well-established specialty retailers who sell fireplaces, kitchens, and garage doors, among other products. Manufacturers could enter the dealer business, or a multi-location dealer could decide to expand. Regardless of what occurs, there will be a void in the market that may prevent you from making a sale.
3. Not Moving Online Quickly Enough
Building materials have reached a tipping point where your online presence is more important than anything else you do. When online, architects, builders, contractors, and others do not distinguish between their personal and professional lives. If they can design and price a new automobile online, they do not comprehend why they cannot do the same with building materials. You no longer receive a pass as a building materials company.
Companies that recognise the benefits of having the “go to” website in their category, as well as tools such as content marketing, CRM, and marketing automation, are quickly gaining a competitive advantage over their rivals. As the majority of building materials are highly comparable, businesses that do not improve their online presence will become irrelevant.
If you are unable to invest in this, you must cease all other marketing activities in order to find the necessary funds. Do not attend another trade show, run another advertisement, or print anything else until this is resolved.
4. Not Trying To Gain Advantage
The building materials industry is not particularly adept at innovating. They are excellent at following the rules and striving to be more effective and efficient within these parameters. It appears as though everyone is playing football and only running the ball.
Everyone overlooks the fact that there are no rules. You and your customers have established the game’s rules to make participation easier. It is convenient for you to sell to a distributor because they can buy truckloads. The distributor sells to his clients, who are actually your clients.
In their pursuit of competitive advantages, building materials companies tend to think in ways that are relatively easy for rivals to imitate. Companies once had R&D departments that actively sought to gain a competitive advantage through product innovation. If they have an R&D team today, it spends more time reducing product costs through value engineering.
5. Failing to Work as a Team
Building materials companies continue to be plagued by silos of sales, marketing, customer service, IT, finance, HR, and production, all of which are more interested in expanding their own domains than cooperating to increase the company’s success. Comparable to viewing Game of Thrones in an office building. You can see the kingdoms in plain view.
Also, Read – Best Paying Jobs In Computer Software Prepackaged Software
Also, Read – What Companies Are In Retail Building Job?
2 thoughts on “Best Paying Jobs In Retail Building Materials”